Performing exercises entails exerting effort in order to train and develop your major muscle groups and body systems. Doing exercises for various muscle groups is essential for achieving and maintaining peak levels of physical fitness and overall well-being. Below are the nine broad types of exercises that are categorized according to the body’s major muscle groups.
- Back exercises: Back exercises activate the trapezius, rhomboids, latissimus dorsi, and other, smaller muscle groups of the back.
- Shoulder exercises: Shoulder exercises help develop the three heads of the deltoid muscles and strengthen the rotator cuffs.
- Chest exercises: Chest exercises strengthen the pectoralis muscles, which are located on either side of the breastbone.
- Core exercises: Core exercises comprise a range of movements that activate the deep abdominal and back muscles that are connected to the pelvis and spine.
- Ab exercises: Ab exercises improve balance and stability by strengthening the transversus abdominis, rectus abdominis, and oblique muscles.
- Leg exercises: Leg exercises target the quadriceps, hamstrings, calves, and glute muscles of the legs.
- Glute exercises: Glute exercises tone and develop the muscles that comprise the buttock area, including the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, and gluteus minimus.
- Tricep exercises: Tricep exercises activate the medial, lateral, and long head parts of the tricep muscles at the dorsal part of the arm.
- Bicep exercises: Bicep exercises help develop and tone the long and short heads of the biceps brachii, as well as the brachialis muscles of the arms.